Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My thoughts at 2:00am

As yall have noticed, Kim does most of the posting in the family. I love the way she writes, and she is doing a great job keeping yall updated and cataloging our family's life in London...I can't believe we live in London - I say this about every other day.

So I thought I would give you a quick update on how things are going from my point of view. Point of view - from where I'm sitting right now, I'm looking at an empty library except for the table I'm sitting at with a Greek textbook, my Greek homework for tomorrow...I mean today, a commentary on Hebrews, and the Collected Writings of some guy named John Murray (he's a pretty cool professor/theologian from 20th century). This is my point of view, this is my life right now. Oh, did I mention it is 1:30am. Apparently only 12 translation questions for Greek homework takes me a couple hours to complete (ok, ok, I might check ESPN once or twice, but not thrice times...thrice is a cool word...sorry, it's 1:35am now).

But this is the stage of life that I am in, studying God's Word and the Christian faith in a vigorous way.

Here are 3 things that come to my mind about this experience.

1) It is hard work. But as my wife pointed out to me a couple years ago that has really stuck with me, work was instituted by God pre-fall of man (Genesis 2:15). Work is not a result of sin (although we tend to see it as that sometimes), but it is a good thing given to us by God. So reading lots of books, memorizing prefixes and suffixes to Greek and Hebrew verbs, and writing essays can be hard work, but just the simple task in of itself is good because work is good. Discipline is good. And by nature, I'm a lazy dude (ask my dad), therefore anything that makes me work hard is good for me.

2) Studying these things is actually pretty cool. I know, that's not the most profound, seminary..esque statement, but it's just cool to be given time to read lots of amazing books by profound thinkers past and present; it's actually fun when you read something in Hebrew and realize what it says; and it's amazing getting to do this in an environment like London Theological Seminary with guys from around the world that grew up very different from me. What a blessing.

3) It's worshipful. The more I study about God, the more I realize the truth of Isaiah 55:8-9, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." This is not a hard verse to believe. God truly is holy, set apart, transcendent. I find myself in class wanting to shout "Amen!" to what is discussed. Studying God stirs the soul. However, this great God doesn't just dwell high above us, but He crosses that gap (we don't do the crossing, He does), and He comes to dwell with the lowly. He comes to dwell with me (Isaiah 57:15). And as I have found myself completely OVERWHELMED at times by my studies and by this life I believe God has called us to here in London, I am comforted that the God who inhabits eternity hangs out with me too and revives my heart (quoting Isaiah 57:15 again - check it out). So the more I learn about the triune God, the more He inspires love in me for Him, and that leads to worship. He is worshipped, I am satisfied. That's good stuff, huh?

Thank you for your prayers, encouragement, and support for us - we love you and miss you terribly! Send us a message and let us know how you're doing!

Ok, it's now 2:00am in the morning. I have to get up in 5 1/2 hours to go to Greek class, then New Testament, then eat lunch and spend the rest of the day researching and writing a long essay on the First Crusade, of which I know nothing about, so far. Did I mention this was hard work?

Robert

p.s. I have the 2 cutest girls and the most amazing, beautiful, and supportive wife in the world!

p.s.s. - I have nothing else to say, just wanted a p.s.s...it's 2:10am now...

3 comments:

  1. Robert, I love you and your heart for loving God. So inspiring, I can FEEL your love for God. I agree with you that Kim, Ellie and Meg are amazing, not just cute but "knock your socks off" beautiful!!
    I miss all of you, and prayer daily for you. I am so happy for you to be able to be immersed in the Word and wrapped in Gods love and presence, enjoy every moment, God has a plan and purpose for you.
    Love,
    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post with some awesome reminders. WORK IS GOOD. I am not sure that I ever realized that work was instituted by God pre-fall. I like that. Thanks for sharing that! I love hearing about your student life, welcome back :) Seems like you are conquering! Keep it up. Love yall!

    Sarah Tolleson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Robert, for taking the time to share your thoughts and perspectives, especially at 1:30 a.m. Your joy and appreciation is obvious. We miss y'all but are so thankful for the Lord's leading in your lives. Rob

    PS (or P.S.) It's not p.s.s., it's PPS (or P.P.S) if you prefer.
    PPS You know that I just had to say that!!! ;+)

    ReplyDelete