Thursday, May 22, 2014

Playdough Recipe

The girls love to play with play-dough and I love the things they come up with... but I don't love that the store-bought kind dries out so quickly (and ours has a tendency to be left out and dried after first use...)

At a playgroup we regularly attend they have wonderful playdough out from time to time, and one time I commented on how diligent the playgroup leader was to consistently make playdough for the kids.

She said "Oh, I just made this one batch up last fall... would you like the recipe, dear?"

Well, seeing as how it was now FEBRUARY and this magical play-dough was still somehow perfectly like... well, dough after 6 months, ummm, YES, I did want the recipe.

So, though I'm sure I'm the last to know about this, I thought I'd share the recipe (this way I'll always have it, too!)

Playdough Recipe

1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon cream of tartar*
Food coloring & glitter (optional)

~ Put all ingredients (including food coloring if using this) in a saucepan and mix to form a paste.
~ Cook on a very low heat, stirring continuously until the mixture comes together in a ball.
~ Allow to cool and then knead for a couple of minutes. Add glitter if desired.

Playdough should keep for several months in an airtight container.



*If you don't want to buy cream of tartar just for this one recipe, it can also be used in this fantastic Snickerdoodles recipe I've found and recently used for a women's event.

1 comment: