Saturday, January 10, 2015

Kim

After all that sweet, relaxing time in Oxford, I feel a little more prepared to keep writing updates on all of our family members.

So... for the update on me! I've been keeping the homefires a burnin' these days. It's not always ever easy and I often feel all my weaknesses utterly exposed under the weight of parenthood, but golly do I have a lot to be thankful for.
My beauties
To back up a little LOT, I had the great pleasure of welcoming three very special ladies at the end of the summer. They're from our church back in Alabama and they came through London on their way back from mission work in Uganda.

They're pretty amazing women. They've each counseled me MANY times on parenting, marriage, and church ministry. I almost think it's unfair to the wider Christian community that they're all in the same church! Maybe they need to spread the love a little?


Well, they DID spread the love to my family and me while here! They came bearing lots of beautiful gifts from Uganda and even took me to TEA AT THE RITZ!!!


Their visit - along with the other company we enjoyed - were the highlights of my summer.

But come September, I was ready for the steady pace of back-to-school season - especially since we would be bringing our first little one to school each day now.

Ahhh, the anticipation of school days.... of crisp and tidy uniforms every morning coupled with a nourishing breakfast (no sugar-laden cereal for us!) .... of new friendships forged and ministry flourishing.... of volunteer reading in Ellie's class and being the dependable parent who accompanies school trips.... of thoughtful teacher gifts for Christmas.... eh hem....

Weeelllllll.... I can barely get the child to school on time! To say my expectations were a little unrealistic would be like saying the Alps are a little steep. It's been a good humbling and learning time for me.

On Tuesdays we drop Ellie off at school and then Meg, Samantha, and I head into the city for Bible Study Fellowship.
Waiting for our underground train
After BSF we stay in the city for lunch, talk about what we've learned, and slowly make our way back north to pick Ellie up from school. It's a wonderful and thoroughly exhausting day, and we've loved studying the life of Moses this year.
Sometimes we take selfies while we're waiting for school to get out :)
Over half-term we so enjoyed having our friends from out west visit - you remember, the ones that also have 3 girls. We took that whole gaggle of girls down to the Tower of London on the first of November to see the poppies that commemorate the lives lost in war the last 100 years. It was very moving to see our lively, giggly, unknowingly blissful children walk among such a picture of sacrifice.


I also had another birthday thrown in there somewhere :) We had KFC for dinner and it reminded me of my childhood where - almost every year without fail - my mom would offer to make me any meal I'd like and I'd always ask for KFC. It's just finger-lickin' good, ya'll.


And I received the dearest cards and gifts from my hubs and girls. Family birthdays can't be beat.

I've also been enjoying our LTS Wives courses this term and feel like they're really helping to address early-on some common struggles we may face in future ministry. I also pray with a few of the wives regularly and have been so encouraged during these times. We even snuck in a night out to dinner together...


Overall, I think we've really settled into our family-of-five groove, and I'm thankful to have all my little ducklings in tow...


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kim, for the catch-up post. Yes, we truly are blessed with the three ladies who came by to see you all!! The last picture is so cute and so true!! =+) Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished reading all of your updates! It is always fun to see children through the eyes of their parents. Beautifully done! And I don't know what you mean by they have weakness in addition to their strengths, your girls are perfect angels!! ;) XOXOXO Sarah T

    ReplyDelete