Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Home of Great Rock

It's strange the things you remember! I specifically remember one of my more eccentric teachers from middle school describing a travel advertisement for England with the tag line: "England: Home of Great Rock." I never saw the ad but always pictured a scene with the Rolling Stones playing "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" on top of Stonehenge.

The tag line still stays with me today and I have to say I am a little excited to live in the birthplace of such great music. If you need a little refresher, remember that The Beatles, Queen, and Elton John all came from the UK. But it doesn't stop there, folks.

As a tiny thing I remember riding down the road listening to Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." Let's be real, there's just no getting that keyboard/guitar intro thing out of your head once you hear it (thanks Dad)!

Then, at the tender age of 13, the cryptic words "and after all, you're my wonderwall..." made their way into my life on a school field trip. Oasis at its best! And how could I forget the many-a-ride home from high school serenaded by The Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony." Ah, those were the days.

I still fondly remember the Keane hits from college: "Somewhere Only We Know" and "Everybody's Changing." Good stuff. And that "Float On" song - Modest Mouse? Loved that!

Even today I'll be the first to admit I'm a sucker for the Coldplay station on Pandora. I just never get sick of it.

And - if I'm being really honest - I usually try to belt my faves in my most authentic English accent... Who knows, maybe we'll catch a concert or two while in the big city!

("Bittersweet Symphony" music video recorded on the streets of London)

No comments:

Post a Comment