Wednesday, September 18, 2013

BSF and the Rest of the Story

I get to study the Bible with other women every week here:

I get to sing hymns, hear testimony of God's faithfulness, and discuss the book of Matthew in this room:

My children get to learn right along with me in their own class:
girls in front of their classroom
I joined a local Bible Study Fellowship class and I'm pretty excited about it! An interdenominational Bible class inside the city was one of the things I was most hoping for with this move. I meet every week with women from ALL over the world with ALL the same purpose: to know God through studying His Word.

breaking it down on the front steps!
I've met a lady who lives in Oxford and leaves every Tuesday before 6:30 to make it in time. This makes my hour commute look rather pitiful. Our leader is Chinese and brings in the most fascinating illustrations from her heritage.

heeeyyy!!
The girls loved their class. I was the last parent to pick them up, but Ellie has told me several times she hopes I'm late every time!

After we left we stopped at a restaurant right by our tube station for a bite before the long ride home. We started with a chocolate biscuit and finished with a delicious panini.


We sat right by the window. This might become a tradition.

And as I reflect on my Natural History Museum post and this one, I become acutely aware of the only half-story I'm presenting.

Moving is hard. Moving across an ocean is really hard. Moving across an ocean with 2 kids feels near impossible to me some days.

I've found myself hoping for night to stretch on a little longer so I don't have to get up and face the paperwork and applications and errands with no conclusion. I "topped up" my mobile phone today and still really have no idea what that means I can do with it. Yesterday I struggled to understand the man at the post office while the girls jumped on the furniture and then ran out the door toward the busy street. I take countless trips to the store because I can only ever remember to buy chocolate and not more important things like milk and bread. Scratch that... chocolate has been VERY important! I have to remind myself often that there is the sweetest woman in my same building that is doing all of this and doesn't yet speak English!

So let me say that in between the magical moments is a lot of gnashing teeth and cleansing breaths and tears... and I hope a little sanctification.

Yes, I'm very glad to have joined BSF this year and am hopeful that it will be one of the tools God uses to frame this struggle of settling in.

5 comments:

  1. Love the posts! Love the stories...so real! Love the pictures! Isn't it amazing and refreshing being with believers in Christ from all over the world? And you're already picking up some of the British words like biscuits instead of cookies! ;+) Blessings upon blessings, Rob for all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your constant encouragement, Pastor Rob!!!

      Delete
  2. Kim, first of all I am so glad you started BSF. I have to share a story with you that I hope encourages you. The night before I went to BSF, I was having a breakdown. As I was praying I heard the Lord tell me 2 Cor. 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." The other things that the Lord told me was something in regards to what you wrote in your last blog. You had talked about the dross being removed. Well, this was what the Lord was speaking to me. I got up the next morning and I was reading my devotional and in it the verse for the day was 2 Cor. 12:9. Then as I went to BSF for the first time, they sang a hymn that I had never heard before. Here are the word in one of the stanzas:

    When through fiery trials thy pathways shall lie,
    My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
    The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
    Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

    When the Lord repeats Himself 3 times, it's time to listen. All to say I was really encouraged by this and I hope this encourages you. Even though you live across the ocean, you are still having an impact on others here! Also my friend Maya always says that the things that God teaches us are not only for our benefit but for the benefit of others. And this is so true. So the things that you are learning through your trials are speaking volumes, at least to me :) And I'm sure to others as well. Please let us know how we can be specifically praying for you all! Love ya, Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend, for your story - it DOES encourage me! I really love the song you quoted - I think we sang it this summer at RYM and I cried the whole way through :)

      Delete
  3. Kim, I joined a BSF group here in Lima as well! I love it. So we are continuing our Bible study from my jr and sr year...across the great ocean ;) I am thankful to study Matthew with you and thousands of other Christians around the world! Did I tell you also that I am living with an English girl? I am learning lots of new "correct" English words and phrases. I think about you and your family often. You are such a lovely (very British word I'm finding) family. I am grateful for you and your example of faith, like the 5 women in the geneaology (BSF reference there!). Hi to Robert and the girls! I would love to visit the chocolate biscuit restaurant with y'all one day :)

    ReplyDelete